A quality Taekwondo kicking bag is a great way to help your kids take their Taekwondo training up a notch. Since kids love pounding on things anyway, it’s almost like you’re tricking them into getting exercise and improving their self-defense skills at the same time!
As someone who has spent hours training with a heavy bag, I can assure you that it’s a great workout. Hitting the bag helps hone accuracy and the pounding action strengthens both bones and muscles.
Plus, striking the bag gets the body used to hit something solid. This will greatly help your child should they ever have to use their skills for self-defense.
But which is the best Taekwondo bag to buy? Let’s take a look at our 10 top picks of the best punching bags for kids to help you decide!
Table of Contents
- Who Should Get a Kicking Bag?
- Best Taekwondo Kicking Bags for Kids
- 1. Kid Kick Wavemaster
- 2. RDX Kids’ Punching Bag
- 3. Atlasonix Inflatable Punching Bag for Kids
- 4. DripeX Freestanding Punching Bag
- 5. QPAU Inflatable Boxing Bag for Kids
- 6. Bully Bob Kicking Bag
- 7. FITVEN Freestanding Punching Bag
- 8. Taekwondo Kick Pad Target with Wall Mount
- 9. Whoobli Punching Bag for Kids
- 10. GYMAX Kids Punching Bag Set
- Taekwondo Training Bags: FAQs
- Taekwondo Training at Home!
Who Should Get a Kicking Bag?
Is your child already in Taekwondo training? Getting a kickboxing bag for your home is a fantastic complement as it gives them a chance to practice their skills outside of class on their own.
Maybe your child feels a little self-conscious striking the heavy bag in front of everyone else. Having a Taekwondo punching bag at home gives them the chance to hone their technique without everyone watching.
Or maybe your child is very energetic. Having a punching bag handy gives them a fun option for burning off that extra energy and getting excellent exercise.
Plus, hitting a punching bag is a great stress reliever. Kids face all sorts of stressors every day and being able to blow off some steam in a safe manner helps them face each day with a more well-adjusted attitude.
And the best part is you get all these benefits without sacrificing too much space! Whether you want to get a heavy bag that hangs from the ceiling or a free-standing kick bag, either one only needs a corner with enough space to move around it and you’re all set!
Best Taekwondo Kicking Bags for Kids
Now let’s take a look at our top picks for the best Taekwondo kick bags for kids. From the beginner bag for those just starting out to the advanced option for seasoned pros, there’s something for everyone.
Plus, you can find great deals on top brands like Century Martial Arts and RDX so you don’t have to break the bank. So grab some protective gear and kick up the fun with these super cool options!
- Best For: Overall
- Key Features: Adjustable height from 37” to 52”, low-profile rounded base for easy roll relocation
- Color: Red with a black base
- Material: Nylon over high-impact foam
- Weight: 16 pounds (approximately 170 pounds when the base is filled with sand or water)
The Kid Kick Wavemaster by the well-known martial arts brand Century is the kids’ version of the popular Century TKD Wavemaster. It is an excellent all-around option.
Not so expensive that it breaks the bank, this freestanding kick bag is a durable piece of equipment that you can expect to last for years. Century is proud of its products and this bag comes with a one-year limited warranty.
It looks similar to freestanding heavy bags designed for adults but is smaller and lighter — ideally suited for kids. The adjustable height from 37” to 52” means the bag can grow with your child — or can be used by children of various sizes.
High-impact foam forms the core of this punching bag and is covered by a durable nylon outer shell. Rest assured, this bag will stand up well to anything your little Taekwondo student can throw at it!
Check out this kid enjoying his Wavemaster Kid Kick Christmas present!
- Easy to store
- One-year warranty
- A little more expensive
- Hard to tell how full the base is
- Best For: Dedicated training space
- Key Features: Durable construction with cross-stiched straps and quadruple D-rings, zip-top to easily fill or change the filling
- Color: White with black accents
- Material: Twin-layered Maya hide leather
- Weight: Less than a pound (unfilled)
Have a space you can turn into a training space? This little hanging bag doesn’t need much, just a sturdy place to hang. Since it is significantly lighter than heavy bags made for adults, you don’t have to worry too much about reinforcement.
The bag is only 2 ft long and measures 32 inches around. This smaller size is perfect for youngsters. It offers them a sturdy punching surface without being so heavy and hard that they hurt themselves.
The sturdy twin-layered Maya hide leather bag will stand up to lots of strikes from energetic youngsters. Just have them strap on the included set of Maya hide leather gloves with extra padding and ventilation in the palms and let them have at it!
The bag comes unfilled, so you can choose what type of material to fill it with. This gives you control over the weight and stiffness of the punching surface. You can use anything from old clothes to sawdust.
- Inexpensive and even comes with gloves
- Small size perfect for kids
- Durable, long-lasting construction
- Requires space for hanging
- Have to find your own filling
- Best For: Portability
- Key Features: Inflatable punching bag, easy assembly and set up, stiff enough for practice, but soft enough that injury is unlikely
- Color: Blue, red, or yellow
- Material: Non-toxic, eco-friendly PVC
- Weight: 2 pounds unfilled
This inflatable freestanding kick bag from Atlasonix is the ultimate option for portability. The upper portion is filled with nothing but air and is easily inflated with a hand pump or lungs if you have strong ones! The durable fabric ensures no rips or tears even with kids pounding on it day and night.
Fill the heavy-duty base with water or sand to steady the kicking bag where it stands. Kids can punch, kick, and karate chop to their hearts’ content without having to worry about the kick bag falling over or moving around. The inflatable part simply bounces away and comes right back, ready for another blow!
The punch bag stands just over 5 ft tall and that coupled with the low base allows kids of various sizes to enjoy practicing their sport. Recommended for ages 3 – 12.
Check out the bag in action here!
- Portability and easy set up
- Softer impact for small hands
- Quick bounce back encourages energetic action
- More advanced students may require a harder practice surface
- Will deflate if damaged
- Best For: Quiet and stable
- Key Features: Suction cup base means no water or sand is required, 360-degree shock absorption for quiet use, stands 47” tall
- Color: Blue or red
- Material: Faux leather
- Weight: 2 pounds unfilled
Don’t like the idea of filling the bottom of your punching bag with water or sand? This freestanding kick bag with a suction cup base is a great option!
The faux leather bag features multiple layers of fabric and foam wrapped around a stainless steel tube. This means there is no filling either the bag or the base.
The suction cups can be used on any smooth floor surface (hardwood, tile, marble, etc). The kicking bag is not suitable for carpet and additional floor stickers may be required for textured floors.
The bag stands 47” tall and is ideal for children between 3 and 11 years (or about 30-54 inches tall).
- Stays firmly rooted in one place
- Doesn’t make a lot of noise
- Doesn’t require filling with cloths, sand, or water
- Can only be used on certain surfaces
- Some assembly required
- Best For: Easy light bag for a large age range
- Key Features: Inflatable punching bag, easy assembly and set up, large enough for bigger kids
- Color: Black
- Material: Impact-resistant PVC
- Weight: 3.85 pounds unfilled
This is another inflatable bag option that’s great for kids and preteens. The large base provides stability and the 3 independent air chambers ensure the bag bounces back quickly even after powerful strikes.
The bag is made from PVC tested for durability after more than 10,000 hits. Air chambers can be easily filled with a hand pump but may require topping up now and again. Fill the base with over 6 gallons of water to make it heavy and provide stability.
The freestanding bag stands 66” inches tall, giving kids plenty of practice space — even for those high Taekwondo kicks!
- Portable and able to set up almost anywhere
- Large enough for older kids to use
- Soft so there is little risk of injury
- Requires a bit of work to fill and maintain
- Possibility of deflation if damaged
- Best For: Strength and conditioning for older kids
- Key Features: Realistic skin feel, helps hone accuracy by presenting realistic targets, adjustable height
- Color: Caucasian flesh with a black base
- Material: Vinyl outer shell filled with urethane foam
- Weight: 270 pounds when filled with sand or water
The Body Opponent Bag (BOB) is the best option for a realistic training experience. The texture of this humanoid heavy bag feels a little like skin and the torso offers realistic targets to help with accuracy.
BOB is perfectly suited to practice punching and kicking, like any heavy bag. But the human shape of this training tool offers unique opportunities for practicing techniques that require more finesse, like knife-hand techniques.
The adjustable height allows you to bring BOB down for beginning kickers. Later, you can scoot him up a little taller as the student’s legs stretch and lengthen. Before long, you’ll have a lithe little Taekwondo kicker on your hands!
But beware, BOB is tough, so don’t expect him to yield easily to blows. Kids will learn what it feels like to strike a tough surface. And they’ll quickly discover how to strike a target without hurting themselves.
This particular model is more suited to older kids, but you can find a smaller “Bully Bobby” version specially made for younger kids.
- Realistic look and feel
- Strong and durable
- Low profile for easy storage
- Kids’ model can be hard to find
- Best For: Families with both child and adult Taekwondo students
- Key Features: Stays put with a dual system, shock absorbers deliver fast rebound and help keep it quiet
- Color: Black or white
- Material: Premium PU leather over high-density EPE foam
- Weight: 205 pounds when filled with sand
Looking for the best kicking bag for Taekwondo when your whole family is involved? This freestanding kick bag from FITVEN is a great option. Standing 70” tall, this bag provides a striking surface adequate for trainees from 47 to 73” tall — or kids from about 7 years old and up.
A multi-layer construction ensures a solid striking surface yet accidental self-injury is unlikely (when using proper protective gear). The set comes with a pair of comfortable and durable boxing gloves, so you’re all set to start punching away as soon as it arrives!
The bag uses a dual system to ensure it stays in place. Fill the base with sand and attach the 12 suction cups on the bottom to a smooth surface floor. Plus, with dual TPU shock absorbers and 4 springs, the bag doesn’t make nearly as much noise getting knocked around as you might expect.
- Easy to move and store
- Quiet and sturdy
- Requires a smooth floor surface
- Can be hard to fill with sand
- Best For: Precision kicking and honing accuracy
- Key Features: Wall-mounted kick pads don’t require a holding partner, adjustable height for various size students, removable pads for versatility
- Color: Black
- Material: PU leather
- Weight: 10 pounds
Training with Taekwondo kicking pads is an excellent way to improve accuracy and balance when kicking. However, they require having a partner to hold them for you.
Not anymore with this wall-mounted kick pad target. Pick a spot on the wall to mount the bracket that is a good height for your child. The bracket itself is also adjustable so students of various sizes can use it.
The bracket holds three kick pads and the angle of the pads is also adjustable to practice different techniques. The pads can easily be removed from the brackets and used as hand pads for partner training when desired.
- Excellent for honing accuracy
- Low likelihood of injury
- Easily adjustable for versatility
- Not as good for developing strength
- May frustrate kids who just want to pound something
- Best For: Inexpensive, fast-paced punching practice
- Key Features: Durable, inflatable bag, fast bounce-back, boxing gloves included
- Color: Black and red, white and red, pink
- Material: PU leather
- Weight: 2 pounds
Looking for a cheap punching bag stand that will provide your child with hours of entertainment? This boxing ball set is a great option!
The simple ball with a low-profile stand is easy to move around and barely takes up any space. Kids can have a ball (pun intended) with the included box gloves and practice their punches to their hearts’ content.
The ball quickly snaps back from blows, creating fast-paced action that will keep your child moving and help them burn off that extra energy.
Great for kids from 3 – 10 years old, the stand is adjustable from 34” to 44” for versatility. The kit comes with boxing gloves and a free pump.
- Small space footprint
- Fast and light
- Not good for kicking
- Damage may cause deflation
- Best For: Smaller kids needing something more sturdy than an inflatable
- Key Features: Durable, wear- and tear-resistant, waterproof, comes prefilled
- Color: Black with red dragon design
- Material: PU leather
- Weight: 22 pounds
Kids don’t need the absolute best heavy bag available on the market, and that’s great! You can get affordable, yet durable heavy bags like this one that won’t break the bank and will still provide years of fun and martial arts training.
Unlike other similar options, this 2-foot tall PU leather bag comes pre-filled with high-resilience sponge filling. It is both comfortable to hit as well as sturdy enough to take a beating with a quick rebound.
The set comes with a hook for hanging, though you’ll need additional hardware if you want to mount it on the wall. Boxing gloves are included and it even comes with a jump rope to add to the fun.
- No need to look for filling
- Holds up well to steady use
- Two-foot striking surface offers plenty of space
- Requires a dedicated space to hang
- Too light for big kids
Taekwondo Training Bags: FAQs
If you’re new to Taekwondo kicking stands and bags, then you probably have a few questions about their function and the best way to use them. Read on for answers to frequently asked questions others have raised.
What is the correct kicking bag training for taekwondo?
Taekwondo or Karate kicking bags are great for developing accuracy, technique, and power — even when you don’t have a partner to work with. Kids can work on their accuracy by choosing a spot on the bag and trying to hit it every time.
It is essential to focus on proper form, which will help prevent injury as well as solidify their self-defense skills. Always work with a wide stance to help avoid falling and use protective gear as required.
Is kicking a heavy bag good for kids?
Kicking a heavy bag is definitely good for kids! Not only does it help them learn proper techniques and improve their power, but it also gives them an outlet to let go of stress and frustration. Plus, the physical activity involved can help boost energy levels while teaching discipline at the same time.
With that said, there are some safety precautions you should take when allowing your child to kick a heavy bag as they may not be aware of the potential risks. Make sure they wear appropriate protective gear such as gloves and shin guards while also providing guidance on how to properly use the equipment so that no one gets hurt.
All in all, kicking a heavy bag is a wonderful way for kids to stay active and practice their Taekwondo skills – just make sure that safety comes first!
What equipment do children need to wear when kicking taekwondo bags？
Unless working with a soft inflatable bag, kids should always wear a pair of gloves to protect their hands from injury when striking the bag. Shin guards are also recommended as they provide extra protection when kicking the bag with power.
Finally, make sure your child has some lightweight clothing such as shorts and t-shirts (or their Taekwondo uniform) so they can move freely without anything getting in their way!
Can kids use an adult boxing bag?
Yes, kids can definitely use an adult boxing bag — as long as they can safely reach it and hit it without hurting themselves! They should also wear the proper protective gear and be supervised by a responsible adult. But it’s fine for kids to practice their skills with a heavier punching bag.
Not only will this help improve their technique but also build strength in their arms and legs over time too. It can be a good option as your child’s skill grows and the smaller ones potentially become too light. Just make sure that whatever type of bag you choose is suitable for your child’s size and level of skill.
What do I fill my kid’s punching bag with?
From sand to a log cushioned by old rags, there are various options available. Sand or rags tend to be lightweight yet still durable enough for most children’s Taekwondo practice sessions.
Alternatively, foam beads or rubber pellets offer more resistance while still being soft enough not to cause any harm if used properly. Ultimately though, it’s up to personal preference so just make sure whichever option you choose meets all safety requirements before letting your little one start kicking away at it!
How heavy should a Taekwondo kicking bag be?
A kid’s punching bag should generally weigh around 50-70 pounds. However, it is dependent on the size of your child as well as their strength and experience level. Don’t be afraid to opt for something heavier if they are more experienced or just really strong!
Ideally, you want a heavy enough bag that will offer resistance while still being light enough for your child to move around and practice their kicks without hurting themselves.
This may require a little experimentation (and maybe even some friendly competition from time to time). But then you’ll figure out what works best for your child in no time – which means lots of fun times ahead practicing those awesome moves!
Taekwondo Training at Home!
Setting up a Taekwondo bag for your child at home is a wonderful way to supplement their Taekwondo training. Plus, it will give them hours of entertainment that doesn’t involve being stuck to a screen and they’ll be out of your hair for a little while.
Win-win for everyone!
Curious about belt displays to show off your Taekwondo journey? Check out our top picks for belt display racks here!